Monday, September 22, 2014

The Bill Clinton Effect

I used to think like this. I used to break down everything into its smallest pieces to try to explain why something happened. In this video, a guy breaks down all of Bill Clinton's facial movements to show that this is what creates a charismatic speech. However, all those things have nothing to do with Clinton's charisma. Clinton's charisma has to do with the fact that he heard this woman's question and responded to her genuinely as though he really cared about not only giving her an answer, but about her actual concerns and her actual humanity. It's because for that moment, he really cared. He made her question his concern and responded from his own experience. There are no techniques for expressing true concern. There is no amount of narrow staring or furrowed brow that will communicate real love when there is none.
I had a hard time working when I hated everybody and everything. I still hate most people and most things, but I love my work, I love my collaborators, and I love my audience. This subtle yet profound shift has changed the way I view work and has enabled me to be functional and charismatic without going through all these ridiculous steps. I am present, I am with you, and I love what I do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwVrWaiqsYQ

Thuggin' Love,
Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment