Friday, July 26, 2013

On the Sidewalk of Providence by Blue





You don't have to wait for somebody to portray you positively if you portray yourself intentionally.

Love,
Blue

PS. Fuck hos.




Did you know...

...that when people within an ethnic/cultural group condemn others within the same group because they believe that they aren't a good enough representation of that group, the psychological and emotional effects can be the same and actually worse than the effects of racism?

The emotions at the foundation of these judgments are rejection and betrayal: being separated/isolated from others. Identifying with a cultural group increases people's self-esteem. Rejection from the group that a person identifies with can be more detrimental to self-esteem and feelings of self-worth than rejection from outsiders.

So the next time you see someone and they don't look [fill in the blank] enough for you to accept them as one of your own, place your name under the "Part of the Problem" column in your notebook. Then, put a checkmark next to your name.

We are all guilty of this in some form or another, so no one can claim innocent. Especially not me. However, I have found that a way to keep from treating people like shit on a regular basis is to (a) practice self love and (b) create art where I get to talk shit about everybody equally without indicting any 1 particular individual.
It also helps to smile when you see people. Not just a superficial face smile, but a liver smile. Smile with your liver.

Love,
Blue


Life tip for getting shit accomplished #92678
The most valuable people in any place where people gather are the staff. If you see a staff member, buy 'em a soda and ask them everything you need to know to navigate successfully in that place. They've been there the longest, they know everybody there, they know everybody's business, and they have plenty of time to talk story.

This is how I got through grad school. Special thanks to the staff.

Love,
Blue


If all of your friends are famous, you might be famous.

If all of your friends are famous and you're not famous, then you're a fan and should probably get some real friends.

Love,
Blue


Frustrated single people say the darnedest things.
Love, Blue


I think it's unfair that "lesbians" get a cool word and "gay men" just get "gay men".

So as a solution to this problem, I propose the following word to refer to gay males from now on:

Malian

Love,
Blue


I don't like giving "relationship advice" because I don't know anything about relationships. However, I probably won't be too off the mark by saying that no matter who you are or what type of person you're interested in, your life will be the same with or without them. Getting with another person is really just getting with more opportunities to experience yourself...which can be awesome or suck balls depending on the person you've cultivated.

Love,
Blue


Booty. Like money, it should be viewed as an outcome...not a goal.

Love,
Blue


I think I know the cure for racism: active volcanoes!!! Because when the earth just might erupt and set everyone on fire in a matter of minutes, we may learn to fear each other based on less superficial criteria; things like territory and religion.

Hate. Because love just isn't quite dramatic enough to entertain the idle minded.


If the government invested in beer drones that dropped a 6pack of red stripe on my doorstep whenever I threatened to be thirsty, I would give a shit about politics. ‪#‎random‬


Love,
Blue


Why do black people care so much about being kings and queens? Kings and queens are just self involved materialists who try to convince poor people that they're special by putting their name and picture on everything. I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but the only difference between ancient kings and queens and modern day celebrities is sex tapes.
I get the sentiment and in my old age, I'm much less annoyed by being called "queen" than I used to be. When folks grab on to a "thing", it becomes their "thing". The part that I think turns women off is that for a lot of bruthas in the hood, "Hey Queen" is really just a substitute for "Aye guhl with the booty! Cum hurr!" The thing about language is that regardless of what you say, people always hear your heart and the heart of a lot of these guys who call themselves kings and women queens is the heart of a pimp. As a result, "bitch" and "queen" are actually interchangeable within the culture. We know this because these men haven't actually changed the WAY they TREAT their women. They just have changed the WORDS they CALL their women.
For the women, it does make a lot of difference when you know who you are. Words don't mean as much when you're getting what you want in life. For example, if somebody calls me "baby" but I feel disrespected or oppressed by them, I will do whatever I have to do to get away from them. However, if somebody calls me "baby" and they make sure there's always wine and avocados in my refrigerator, I will rub their private parts.
Love,
Blue


If a person looks at you and says "your outfit is too revealing", what they're really saying is "I have obscene thoughts when I look at you. However, instead of exercising discipline over my thoughts, I would rather try to control what you wear."

Modesty is for a shield against the eye of the unclean -Kahlil Gibran
Love,
Blue


When referring to the treatment of people outside of your ingroup, it's important to take into consideration the truths of the people you're referring to.

For example: I had a boyfriend. When I would walk places with that boyfriend, men would not bother me. However, when I would walk places without that boyfriend, I couldn't get a half a block without getting yelled at, stared at like a piece of meat, or being literally blocked on a sidewalk by some man who wanted my attention. If in a crowded place with my boyfriend, we would enjoy a good time of food and fun. If in a crowded place alone or with other women, I was constantly fighting to keep men's hands off of me or to simply enjoy the ambiance without perpetually being interrupted by some guy who wanted my attention.

I told this to my boyfriend and he didn't believe me because it wasn't something that he had seen. However, how could he have seen that if men respect other men enough to not push up on their girlfriends in their presence?

So yes, a guy who sees another guy with a girl won't mess with that girl. This is not because of respect per se. It's because pushing up on another man's girlfriend is grounds for a fight, so unless you're looking to fight, you don't push up on another dude's girlfriend. However, when women are by themselves, they are expected to be of lesser strength than the man and, therefore, unable to win a physical fight. As a result, men feel free to harass women under the widely accepted meme that "boys will be boys." If the woman presses charges, the man will undoubtedly blame her for his actions. The courts might even back the man if the people in the court decide that the woman's sex appeal were so great that the man could not have possibly controlled his behavior towards her...even if he raped her.

So what's your point, Blue? Well, my point is this: if a person outside of your in-group tells you how they're treated by your in-group, don't argue. Just listen. You're welcome.

Love,
Blue


Today in the news:
2 hikers and a dog got lost in the forest. Rescuers found them and drove them to their car. The hikers, unfamiliar with the territory, drove their car off a cliff. They died.
Love,
Blue


I often hear activists say things like "they don't care about us". I have always wondered who "they" is. Then I wondered who "us" is. Then, I wondered why activists expect "they" to care about "us" when activists don't exactly expect "us" to care about "they".

If you want to be babysat, hire a babysitter. If you want liberty, care about yourself.

Love,
Blue


Nobody told you to put your trust in criminals. That was your decision. Congratulations. You are now living with the consequences of your decisions.

If you don't like the consequences of your decisions, try making new decisions.

Love,
Blue


If you ask a ho "What do you do for a living?", the ho would respond "fuck."

When I say "fuck hos," I'm doing my part to help more hos make a living.

If you care about the livelihood of hos, fuck em.

Love,
Blue


Money is not important.

If saying that makes me unrealistic, then I guess you can call me an unrealist.

Love,
Blue


I be gettin' all bent out of shape not understanding why stupid people fight to stay stupid but for a moment, I'd like to give a special shout out to all my people who get what they want in life and don't nobody know how or even what they have because it ain't nobody's damn business.

Keep stayin' fly.

Love,
Blue


Did you know:

Not every homeless person wants a home.

I know, it's hard to believe that everyone isn't materialistic and superficial; especially when you are and it feels so right.

There's nothing wrong with being materialistic and superficial...it just doesn't lead to enlightenment. However, it manages to lead to poverty and desperation pretty consistently. How ironic.


The picture painted of "homelessness" in this culture is one of dire suffering. However, that picture is painted BY people who consider themselves middle class. The middle class is very biased against poor people. Poverty must be horrible, right? Not true. Despite what material chasers believe, the majority of homeless people in this nation look just like people with homes and, in many cases, they live better, with "better" being measured by longer life and more favorable health outcomes. The homeless people who we see on the street with all the problems are often people who suffer from mental illness and drug addiction. Coincidentally, and in contrast, many more people who suffer from mental illness and drug addiction actually have homes...and jobs...and nuclear families...on the surface, they look like healthy people. There is such an emphasis on "looking successful" in this culture that people look great, but in real life, they are really messed up. However, many of those we consider homeless are more at peace with themselves and their life than people we would consider successful. This entire culture is due for a wake-up call.
When all these young stuff chasers start seeing their contemporaries having heart attacks and strokes in their 30s and 40s, they might look around and say to themselves "hmm, maybe I should rethink my methods."

I sure hope we all wake up as a culture before we really start seeing shorter life expectancies among those who think they're "the upper class".

Love,
Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment